Monday, October 18, 2010

Canadian Partisanship (in 1984)

David Akin posts about the nature of Canadian partisanship, citing a study that suggests Liberals inherit their partisanship while Conservatives think about their's. Problem: the CES he cites uses data for 1984!

The authors suggest the study still has valuable information because the Liberals and NDP still exist. It's an absurd argument, and one that should keep you from sending your children to UWO.

Canadian politics has experienced massive changes since 1984. Events in Quebec especially would probably invalidate the bulk of the article's conclusions. Indeed (and this might be in the piece, I haven't had time to read it) I'd be curious about how much of the inherited nature of the Liberal Party comes (came) from Quebec federalists.

I think their conclusions about the NDP are probably still valid, but the rest is just useless. Besides, we know the CPC has an official policy against thinking.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure you noticed that hilarious coincidence of Akin trying to create a self-prescribed narrative by selecting and mining bits of information from a report whose year is also a title of that famed novel.


    On a different random note, Have I Got News For You has started up their fall series again, and I encourage you to watch it. I will provide you a contrast to the their Tories and our "Tories." Case in point, as much as Boris Johnson is goofy, the man is Eton and Cambridge educated and is fairly frank when it comes to taking on the great Jeremy Paxman. Watching such an honest back and forth is so refreshing.

    Curiously, despite the echoes of the preoccupation of class in Britain, Boris still got elected in the largest city in the U.K. You can imagine that if any of our leaders had an exchange like this, they would scream elitism here in Canada.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CJXWXenwdQ#t=30s

    I know I sound like someone who has such colonial mentality, but I would take the above over any continentalist paradigms of discourse that neoconservatives seem to lap up without filter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't have a tv, but I do try to catch Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You online when I'm not killing myself slowly with some journal article.

    I'm still trying to figure out the Cameron government here. It's quite difficult given the fairly dire conditions of the British economy and public finances. It's a bit of a neoliberal wet dream. The spending review is really fascinating stuff. The axe seems to be coming down on everything, from education, to housing, to the military.

    It could go one of two ways, either they just end up pissing everyone off, or they keep their critics a few steps behind as a new cut is announced everyday. That said, there does seem to be widespread acceptance here (in London at least) that things need to be "put right".

    ReplyDelete