Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Night Beer: Wychcraft

And the countdown is on, one week until London! In honour of that, a bog standard English Pale Ale just released at the LCBO.

Wychcraft
Wychwood Brewery
Oxfordshire, UK
English Pale Ale
4.5%

Looks like a straw lager. Very pale gold. Loads of visible carbonation. Medium white head settles quickly to a thin film. Spotty lacings.

Hm. Don't know if I've ever talked about diacetyl in beer before. Diacetyl is a compound produced by fermentation. It also happens to be a key compound in butter. Usually, but not always, it's a sign that something has gone wrong in a beer. You'll get a very buttery taste, it will seem almost slippery. You'll also notice it on the nose, which is the case here. That said, there is also some vague citrus aroma, sweet orange, with just a bit of fruity malt in there.

Carbonation seems to get in the way a bit. It's almost club soda like up front, hard to get much taste off it. Once you get past that there's a noticeable lager character to the flavour, sort of grainy as opposed to the usual fruit and caramel you get from and English ale. Hopping leaves a bit to be desired. Bittering, but I'm getting almost no citrus flavours off it. Moderate sulfur throughout. Aftertaste leaves a nice hint of lemon.

Mouthfeel threw things off for me. Carbonation seems out of whack.

Not my favourite from a brewer I've always enjoyed. Their Fiddler's Elbow was one of my favourites, though many find it too sweet. Give this one a shot while the LCBO has it, let me know if I'm way off.

No comments:

Post a Comment