Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Night Beer: Saison D'Epeautre

Dropped the ball last week, apologies for that.

I'm actually in Vancouver right now, I'm on vacation for the next week. First thing I did when I got off the Canada Line from the airport was head to my favourite liquor store in Van-city and grab a brew. Booze are expensive as hell in Beautiful BC, but they do have an enviable selection of foreign brews... in Vancouver anyway.

Saisons are my favourite style of beer. Period.

Saisons are rustic Belgian (and french) farmhouse beers typically brewed for harvest season to satisfy the farm hands. None are available in Ontario, though you might find some in Quebec. 3 Monts should be available in Hull for any Ottawa readers and that's along the same lines as a Belgian saison. Typically they're incredibly refreshing, highly carbonated, and have certain cider characteristics combined with nice Belgian yeast flavours. They're usually pretty light, but this one actually has a bit of an alcohol hit.

Saison D'Epeautre
Saison
Brasserie de Blaugies, Belgium
6%

A cascade of bubbles pours out into the sink after I pop the cork. Picture perfect pour into the glass. A saison should have a huge snow-white head, be a cloudy golden reminiscent of wheat fields, and have visible carbonation. This ticks all the boxes.

On the nose you get a nice hit of Belgian yeast, some sweet sugar and a nice mix of pears and green apples.

A little bit of hop bitterness right up front that combines nicely with the prickly carbonation. A subtle, sublime (for me) sweetness takes over pretty quickly. Mmmmm. Mmmmmmmmmm. You'll sometimes hear beer geeks describe something as "chewy", and it's true in this case. Despite some light flavours, the malt has a lot of substance, it's possible there's some wheat malt in there. If you know the profile of a witbier, you know what I'm talking about. There's that nice pear flavour, fruity, but not too sweet, right on cue. Finishes with a bit more bitterness, just enough for a satisfying finish.

If you've never had a saison, go find one. It's the perfect beer for the season. It's alive, it's flavourful, it's the most refreshing beer on the planet.

Don't know what my computer access is going to be like this week, but maybe I'll get a few more chances for reviews. As funny as it sounds, BC is always about beer for me... well most trips are about beer for me, but BC usually has something interesting to offer.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you've convinced me. Next time I'm in Hull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, this weather is perfect for them too!

    ReplyDelete